I love wandering through the crowded, over-stocked isles of the Asian grocer searching for new flavours to try. This was exactly how I stumbled upon a huge can of young green jackfruit (durian). It only has approximately 115 cals for the entire can (2 cups) and its texture is dense and meaty which makes is perfect for things like curries or mock meat dishes and is so filling! I'm really glad to have found a non-processed alternative for mock-meat recipes. So how did I use my first can? I made a salad- but not just any salad.
This salad is AMAZING! Seriously. I'd never tried young green jackfruit before so I was a little nervous. I decided to go for another strong flavour just in case I didn't like it (no need it's yum).
Young Jackfruit Sambal Salad
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 red chili- no seeds for me but if you're brave go for it.
1 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 cup desiccated coconut
1 can young green jackfruit
thumb size piece of ginger
water- approximately 1.5 cups
2 cups lettuce
- grind the spices
- chop chili
- grate the ginger
- mortar and pestle the spices, chili, ginger and coconut
- chop the jackfruit into small chunks (or however you prefer the texture to be)
- simmer in water until tender and water has evaporated
- dry fry the sambal mixture until fragrant and golden
- add jackfruit
- chop carrot, tomatoes and lettuce
- serve together, sprinkle with extra coconut and chili
I hope you all give young green jackfruit a try!
All the best xxx