Friday, November 25, 2011

Jackfruit, Pumpkin & Spinach Curry (Low Fat)

Since my first experience with young green jackfruit went so well with the Young Jackfruit Sambal Salad I decided to use it in a curry. It was just as wonderful as I predicted. This will definitely be appearing on my plate again. I prefer the texture of the jackfruit to tofu (which usually appears in my currys) but it's on par with lentils/beans... perhaps they would work well together? one way to find out!

This curry is full of flavour and veggies, I would be great with millet, quinoa, brown rice but we made cous-cous. I'm willing to try things again because your tastes do change and I'm constantly trying to get my husband to try new foods (usually vegetables and fruits) so I have to do the same! but surprise surprise I still don't like it- so I can vouch for the fact this curry is good enough to have without it.

Jackfruit, Pumpkin and Spinach Curry
Makes 4 serves
1 can young green jackfruit
1 tsp turmeric
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp coriander
1 tsp cloves
1 tbsp mustard seeds
3 large green chillis- seeds in, they're mild but flavourful! Adjust to taste
1/2 tsp chilli powder
1/2 small butternut pumpkin
1/2 cup light coconut cream (or sub in blended tomatoes)
2 tbsp ground chia seeds
1 cup frozen spinach
thumb size piece of ginger
fresh coriander to garnish
1 tbsp lemon juice
Stock to cover (approximately 4/5 cups)
  • Grind whole spices and chia seeds
  • chop chilies and pumpkin
  • pumpkin, spinach, chili, stock, ginger in pot- simmer till the pumpkin is tender
  • chop and add jackfruit- simmer for 10 minutes-ish
  • add lemon and coconut
  • enjoy with cous-cous/millet/rice/quinoa/buckwheat... whatever you fancy!
Curry, cous-cous, green beans, green chili pickle
I hope you give jackfruit a try- its really yummy, filling and low cal. It's going to be a regular in my cupboard for sure! How easy is canned jackfruit + frozen veg curry on a weeknight? I made another version with blended tomatoes instead of the coconut cream in the gravy- less calories and fat and worked very well. 

Thank you so much for the comments on my last post! I really truly appreciate every comment I get but those in particular were just what I needed to hear when I was making a change in my diet. I'm all in now- I'm cutting the fats, limiting the carbs, enjoying fruits and eating my weight in vegetables- wish me luck?

Hope you're all enjoying yummy plant based meals xxx
Pin It

4 comments:

  1. That looks so nice! gahh I wish I had time to cook at the moment :(
    And that doesn't look healthy to me, people that are naturally thin don't tend to have that much bone sticking out, because they still need a certain amount of fat to be healthy.
    For me too thin is if your skin turns grey or your hair looks really bad, or if you're severely depressed because there's no point in me being thin if i don't look the best I can or if I'm not able to enjoy it :) I think bones are nice though :)
    Lottie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only had jackfruit once, as a bbq sandwich at a restaurant, but I really liked it. This meal looks great!

    I've known some people who were naturally severely thin, but not many. The trainer might have just said that to not get into trouble for saying something bad about a client. Hopefully she was just naturally very thin and not sick.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have yet to try jackfruit, and you say you like it more than tofu in your curry. So, I guess I really need to find some in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks really good :) too thin is when it doesn't look natural/healthy. Usually super thin/naturally thin ppl don't have every bone sticking out, they just have small bones and therefor are smaller. It's hard to explain but you can be thin and bony but it's natural, it's when bones are jutting out/grey skin/genreal unhealthy look domethkg seems off. I hope that makes sense.

    It's nice you and your dad go to the gym together.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...